Advent is a season of hope, preparation and expectation. Advent helps us to expand the meaning of our lives through prayer, spiritual reading, acts of charity and participation in Eucharist. Recently, Pope Francis took a moment to comment on how the Advent season reminds us that Jesus constantly enters our lives. Pope Francis said our expectant waiting for Jesus requires vigilance. Vigilance, he continued, means “paying attention to our neighbor in difficulty and allowing their need to draw us in, without waiting for him or her to ask us for help.” As we reflect on our participation in Christmas Hampers and Mary’s Meals, the spirit of Advent is alive and well in our community.
“Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Emmanuel” Isaiah 7:14
- K-3 Christmas Concert- we are very excited for the upcoming Christmas Concert! Thursday, December 12 @ 7:00 PM - EVENING PERFORMANCE and Friday, December 13 @ 1:00 PM - MATINEE PERFORMANCE. The concert is approximately 45 minutes in length. We have limited space in our parking lot, and are not able to accommodate all parents. Please plan accordingly. School parking lots are not designed to accommodate such large groups, so please exercise patience in the parking lot.
For the evening performance on Thursday, all concert goers are asked to enter through the FLEX doors, which will open at 6:15. Students need to arrive by 6:45 at the latest and are asked to gather in their homeroom prior to the start of the concert.
For the matinee performance on Friday, the FLEX doors will open at 12:15. Parking will again be extremely tight, as it is a regular school day and staff vehicles occupy the majority of parking spots. At the conclusion of the Matinee performance, we will need to parking lot cleared in short order so we are ready for buses to come for the end of the day. If you are attending this concert, and wish to take your child home with you at the conclusion of the concert (2:00ish), please make arrangements with your child’s teacher.
- Front Row Auction – special thanks to everyone who bid in the auction! There was $559 raised for the Playground Fund! All winners have been contacted! We hope you enjoy the Concert!
- Small Milk Cartons - effective January 6, 2020 the price of a small milk carton ( chocolate & white ) price will increase from .75 to $1.00. All coupons already purchased will be honored at the old price.
- Sacrament of Reconciliation – students who have received the Sacrament of Reconciliation will have the opportunity to celebrate the sacrament with Fr. Paul and Fr. Joselitio on Weds Dec 18 here at SJPII. The peace of mind and soul which this sacrament imparts to us is one for which there is no substitute. It is a peace that flows from a certainty, rather than from an unsure hope, that our sins have been forgiven and that we are right with God.
- Support for Catholic Education in Alberta - the Government of Alberta has recently distributed a survey regarding Choice in Education. The purpose of this survey is to “protect, improve and enhance education choice in Alberta.” As such, it is imperative that Catholic education stakeholders advocate for publicly funded Catholic education as a solid educational choice in Alberta. Parents, as stated in the survey, should be offered the opportunity to select the educational path they feel will best help their children reach their full potential. This includes publicly funded Catholic education. The survey closes on December 6th. Please complete the survey and share widely. It is important that the Catholic voice be heard loud and clear, and in large numbers. Publicly funded Catholic education is important in Alberta. This is an important time, where government is making educational decisions. This is an opportunity to speak up and be heard. So please take the survey...and pass it on. Thank you! Here is the link to the survey https://www.alberta.ca/choice-in-education-engagement.aspx
- School Calendar 2020-21 - Parkland School Division has generated a calendar surveyto elicit stakeholder feedback for the placement of days during the 2020-2021 school year. Evergreen Catholic School’s calendar is tightly linked to the Parkland calendar due to shared busing, so please consider taking some time to complete the survey!
- K-8 Advent Celebration (Week 2) – Mon Dec 9 at 9:00
- Christmas Concert – Thurs Dec 12 – 7:00
- Christmas Concert – Fri Dec 13 – 1:00
- Advent Mass – Tues Dec 17 at 10:00 at SJPII
- Sacrament of Reconciliation for staff and students – Weds Dec 18 at SJPII
- Last Day before Christmas – Fri Dec 20
- Welcome Back to School – Mon Jan 6, 2020
St. John Paul II Catholic School